128 mi, 2 hr, 22 min
Appx fuel costs: $ 41
Adm. Fees: $ 79
Camping Fees: $ 25
Planning to wake up real early and watch the world around us awaken. Then heading out to visit some national historic sites. I've looked at several things to explore and everything is determined by the clock.
#1 - Minute Man Missile where we'll also log a few Virtual geocaches and EarthCaches. While in this town of Wall, SD I'll also look for the famous Jackalope and get a picture with him.
#2 - Crazy Horse Memorial - I'm not too crazy about seeing this. Mainly because it isn't finished. I understand it's a huge undertaking and all that but IT IS NOT FINISHED! That being said, I'm putting it on my optional list.
#3 - Moving into to Keystone, we'll plan to visit the Big Thunder Gold Mine, but I'm not too sure about it. It looks more like a "tourist trap" but it also looks like a fun place for the girls. We'll see. Admission is $9.25 for Adults and $6.25 for kids and then you can get pans for Gold panning for an additional $7.25.
#4 - Mount Rushmore National Monument - There are no admission fees, but there IS an $11 parking fee.
There are also some geocaches about 1/2 a mile from here.
#5 - We'll move up into Rapid City for some other geocaching and touristy stuff. First we'll stop at the 12th Century Replica Church. I've read a couple of places that it is either a gift shop or located next door to one. I just want to explore and look at the architecture of it and goof off in the gift shop. Then we'll drive around downtown RC and see if we can "meet" all of the street corner presidents. Again, depends on time.
#6 - We'll either finish today or start tomorrow with a stop at Cosmos Mystery Area. A tour here will only take about 30 minutes but it's a very interesting and intriguing place. Adm is $9.50 for those who are 12 and older. In our case, that's only 2 of us!
Then we'll camp at Custer State Park. Hopefully, there will be enough time in the day for me to do a couple of short hikes to collect some geocaches. If not, weeellll, I'll just have to pass it up .... but I won't like it!






WOW!! I love revisiting Wall and Crazy Horse!!
ReplyDelete