Saturday, June 13, 2009

Disney 2009, Day 1: Traveling & FL Caverns SP

We woke up and got everything and everyone loaded into the camper and suburban for 6:30 a.m. We were all buckled in when DH turned the key to start the truck and rec’d a “click” instead. Seems someone had left some lights on the night before. Hmmm. So, we rounded up some jumper cables and jumped it off. THEN at 7 a.m. we were on our way.

We arrived in Marianna, FL @ 2 p.m. where we set up camp at Florida Caverns State Park. Upon setting up the camper, DH suggested that we find a place to eat and then stop by a Winn Dixie for some groceries. We found a little hole in the wall restaurant, The Waffle Iron, and went in to eat. As soon as we placed our order, the rain began. It rained a couple of drops when the bottom fell out. Suddenly it was raining AND HAILING sideways!!! There was hail the size of large marbles was falling all around!


We sat and continued to eat our meal, enjoying the sound of the pounding rain and hail. It stopped as soon as it had started and the sun was shining again as we exited the restaurant and headed back to the camper.

Once back in the campground, DH wanted to sightsee a little so we explored the nature center and took a few pictures at the entrance to the Cave. This area is very neat with caves, swamps, and sinkholes existing side by side. It truly is a geographical wonder.

At the cave entrance with my GPS.

Of course, I couldn’t visit such an area without looking for a few geocaches. After finding only one and nearly smothering to death on the swarm of mosquitoes I was trying to avoid inhaling, I gave up and decided not to bother with geocaches for the rest of this trip. I have never in my life seen mosquitoes so bad!!!

We finished the evening up with a sandwich dinner followed by collapsing into bed @ approx. 7:30 pm CST. Needless to say, we all slept very well!!!

The Blue Hole swimming area. This area is currently closed due to turbidity. As you can see from the picture, the water is very cloudy.
One of the many sinkholes in the area.

Now on to Day 2 of our Trip.

2 comments:

  1. Cyn,
    I read every entry and loved every bit of it. I felt like I got to enjoy the little ones excitment too. I agree that a trip without the DH would be a lot of fun and probably less stress - I think I'll plan one of those next time as well. Love it all.
    Joan Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooooooo beautiful, I'm ready to pack my bags and go! I especially love the photo of you in front of the cave entrance. It looks like a magical place to be and very, very peaceful (too bad the mosquitos have to interfer a bit with that). Thanks for sharing your photos!
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete